Monday Aug 8, 2022
Monday Aug 8, 2022

Three variants of coronavirus detected in Nepal: MoHP

New variant B.1.617.2 detected in 97.15 per cent of samples, B.1.617.1 in 2.85 per cent

2021 May 18, 21:57, Kathmandu
This image shows Novel Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 virus particles, orange, isolated from a patient, released on Thursday, May 28, 2020. Image: NIAID/National Institutes of Health/AP via RSS

Gene sequencing conducted on 35 swab specimens collected from people of various parts of Nepal last week showed the presence of three new variants of coronavirus.

The gene sequencing carried out at the CSIR Institute of Genomics and Integrative Biology, India identified by the World Health Organisation as Centre of excellence in genomic sequencing found new variant B.1.617.2 in 34 specimens or 97 per cent of the sample while another variant B.1.617.1 was detected in remaining one that makes nearly 3 per cent of the total sample, according to the Ministry of Health and population. Likewise, the test also verified the presence of three variants of coronavirus in Nepal.

The WHO referred to the new variant as the COVID variant of 'global concern' on May 10, 2021.

A study has shown that the new variants have been transmissible in all age group and are said to be risky.

As the variants have been reported to be more infectious, the Health Ministry has appealed to one and all to be cautious and adopt health safety protocols for the prevention of the infection.


New variants of coronavirus coronavirus variants Cronavirus Coronavirus variants in Nepal B.1.617.1 B16172 2021. A study has shown that the new variants have been transmissible in all age g Coronavirus in Nepal Variant of global concern
Nepal's First Online News Portal
Published by Nepalnews Pvt Ltd
Editor: Raju Silwal
Information Department Registration No. 1505 / 076-77


KMC-02, UttarDhoka,
Lazimpat, Nepal

+977–01–4445751 / 4445754

[email protected] [email protected]

Terms of Use Disclaimer
© NepalNews. 2021 All rights reserved. | Nepal's First News Portal